Monday, January 30, 2017

2017 Ecuador * Pendulum * January 30

“Simple can be harder than complex: 
You have to work hard to get your thinking clean to make it simple. 
But it’s worth it in the end because once you get there, 
you can move mountains.” 
~Steve Jobs
Cuenca, Ecuador

Sajsana Restaurante, Cuenca, Ecuador
Things are not always as they seem...

Today I am spending some time alone.  I need solitude to think, to write, and to examine my self and life. I haven't had much of a chance to do that yet.

Sometimes lately it seems my mind is not working as well, as clearly, as it used to. It seems that my drive to plan and organize and get things done it's just not effective. Is that my age? Or is it just my present relaxed situation?  Of course, if I were home in Maine,  I would be, most probably, depressed. The lack of gumption along with that cold gray weather would pull me down even deeper.  At least here there are wonderful sensory inputs and decent weather.

I have some life choices to make - and at this point I feel rather indecisive. I'm here “checking out” Ecuador - again. I DO like the weather and the diversity of people here, but there are things that are disquieting to me.  When the sun is out it is absolutely perfect weather, clear air, fluffy clouds, and fresh breezes coming down the green-banked rivers.    

With good choices one can live here very inexpensively.  A bus ride across town is only 25 cents and many restaurants offer good meals for around $5.  The great majority of people are very friendly and overall it is a safe city.   


Flip the coin and realize that downtown the streets are gray with the settled bus diesel fumes and volcanic stone dust from the cobblestones.  Dogs wander free, many are stray, and often get hurt in traffic.  I am able, temporarily, to live with the contradictions, but it can get wearing.  

 Later this year I plan to check out Europe more seriously to make a decision as to where to spend more time.  Can one also live inexpensively there making the right choices?  Sometimes it would just be nice to have somebody to make a decision for me ..  but I know that's not appropriate at this point.  

I have started a list of pros and cons to help me make a decision.  Activities and involvement would help.

This morning I went to inquire about possibly working with staff and professors at the Catholic University to improve their English.  It will not work for me.  They need people for at least six weeks.  At least I made a couple good contacts and some good information.  I have checked the possibility of teaching Spanish to ex-pats, or art classes, or various other activities.  My problem:  I do not have the length of time to commit now.  I have met many foreigners who have settled here:  some love it and plan to stay, others stay for a few months or years and then decide to return to their home. 

I have arranged my life to travel for these few years.  I explore and seek new places and experiences.  I search for a home where I feel I truly belong.  I love this investigation.  Then my heart feels tugged:  back to Maine to my grandchildren, to my aging parents, to my friendships and familiar activities.  Plus I am experiencing a growing tedium of doing it alone.

The tick-tack of that multi-ball pendulum swings – back and forth, thoughts and feelings, decision and indecision, yes or no, to come or go.

I fall into a moment of frustration, of disillusionment, when I realize: "I don't really want to be here" … then, suddenly *BAM* … the mountains and rivers leap into my consciousness and lick my face with the joy of an exuberant puppy.




~


No comments:

Post a Comment