Saturday, January 21, 2017

2017 Ecuador * Mountain Fog * January 21

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.” 
– Martin Buber



Four inches of grey snow, still falling, starts me on my way in the early Maine morning.  Slush and rain follow as the bus travels south from Portland to Boston.  Such bleak days make it easier for me to leave home – to leave friends, family, and my beloved daughters and grandchildren.   

I am looking forward to being nestled in the folds of the deep green mountains of Ecuador.  In the Andes I am nurtured and renewed, physically and spiritually, as has been my experience since I traveled to Machu Picchu in the Peruvian Andes when I was 25.  There is something here that lifts me above myself and takes me beyond the hectic routine of life in the United States.



Arriving at my AirBnB after midnight, I have to remind myself to drink lots of water and to breathe deeply and slowly to try to avoid altitude sickness.  The inn is a quaint place in Tababela that is about five minutes from the Quito Airport and 45 minutes from downtown Quito.  One has to circumvent mountains, valleys and rivers to get from the airport to the city.  There is no direct route ... except as the condor flies.




The first morning is beautiful, clear sun, with luxurious white clouds.  A flock of birds sings me awake. Tababela is a small peaceful town – a half hour walk is sufficient to explore the streets, small stores, and garden park where I sit on a bench to eat an apple and some chifle (chips like potato chips but made from plantain).   
 
I purchase prepaid time for my Ecuadorian SIM card in my phone. Technology has changed SO much since my first trip here at age 17 when it took three to four weeks for a hand-written, airmail letter to go home to the States and another block of time to receive a response.  Now, instantaneously, I can contact those I care about that are half a hemisphere away.



I am annoyed that I do not escape altitude sickness this time but it’s basically just a foggy headache accompanying the following two days of drizzle and downpour rain.  I get to repose, reflect, and reach out to those far away.  Not unexpectedly, my uncle passes early my second morning here. It is also my brother’s birthday.  And it is Inauguration Day. I experience an amalgam of wide-ranging emotions.  It’s a bit of a blessing to do so in my mental fog. 

 

Each day, at breakfast and dinner many boarders pass through the lobby.  Some here just overnight, others for extended stays.  We exchange travel experiences, ideas of moving through and living in Ecuador.  We are temporary friends, kindred spirits.  A young Brit is heading to the seaside to surf and take Spanish language classes.  A couple from Florida are arranging to become ex-pats here and are having a house built near the sea.  Two American twenty-something ladies have just arrived from Cuba and are ready to explore the Andes.  A Canadian mother, with her precocious and adventurous six-year-old daughter, has lived here near ten years, is now single and seeking to return north with her girl and their tiny black dog.  A real estate agent from Charlottesville is exploring options of purchasing property in the southern Ecuadorian mountains after exploring the region’s towns for six years.   
 
We share snippets of travel life, names of lawyers who help foreigners, information about buses and air flights, all around coffee, our included breakfast, or a delicious home-cooked dinner. 

Tonight I fly out – an hour flight south to Cuenca where I meet up to share an apartment with friends from Idaho who I met last year.  After getting settled, I will head outside for a city walk and try to keep up with Dee and Scott.  They do not have to acclimate to the altitude since they live in the Rocky Mountains - as opposed to this coastal gal.  I am certain we will end up at Goza pub for a beer.



Facebook photo album:  2017 Ecuador Photos #1

 ˜
 

No comments:

Post a Comment