Saturday, February 23, 2019

2019 * Pastel Painting Evolution * 1 of 5 * Feb 20

Invitation

#1 of 5  "Rain Washed" (soft pastel on Canson Mi-Teints)
"Rain Washed"

I was asked by Bernadette Decesare, renowned pastel artist, to post 5 of my paintings for 5 days that have special significance to me as a developing artist.  She inspires me so, one of the many great pastelists today.  I am so thankful for social media that allows us to share ideas and keep in touch with artists and friends from around the world .. to share and learn and grow.

This "Rain Washed" was one of the first pastels I created as a finished work, back in the 1980s.  Previously, using soft pastels had been only a sketch medium for me and I was using Rembrandt pastels and Canson Mi-Teints paper.  So much has changed since then.  I've greatly expanded my materials.

I was looking out my window one day as the rain fell heavily washing down across the pane and distorted the view of the field beyond.  It gave me great joy to do a painting the way I wanted to do it .. for myself .. the emotion and vision of the moment .. and not worry about whether it would be liked by others or sell or not.  Throughout my artistic career I have struggled with that nasty little devil on my shoulder that whispers discouraging comments in my ear.  He's an insistent little bugger and I often wonder from whence he came and why he is still hanging around.

As I progress in my artistic evolution, I strive to escape any negativity and worries.  I aim to not so much appreciate the product created but to simply enjoy the creative process itself.


No comments:

Post a Comment